Saturday, February 25, 2012

When I attended the American Library Association Midwinter meeting in Dallas in January, the highlight for me was the PopTop Stage on Mystery Day.  Mystery authors formed panels and talked about their works. After each panel, the authors signed complimentary copies of their books for the attendees.  I heard several authors with whom I was not familiar but eagerly look forward to reading their works.  One such author is Deborah Crombie who writes a British (yes, British -- although she is a Texan!) procedural featuring Duncan Kincaid and his sergeant Gemma James. These are wonderful looks into the workings of present-day Scotland Yard and its members. Of course, it helps that there is a love interest between Duncan and Gemma.  The novels are chock full of interesting characters, plot lines diverting all over the place, and really interesting mysteries.  The book I received from that signing is Crombie's last, "No Mark Upon Her."  So being the purist that I think I am,  I had to begin with the first book.  I now have read seven of the books. I ended up getting Nook copies of those I hadn't read so I would be ready for the last one (# 14).  When I was on the library catalog today I saw all those books were in ebook format. I could have saved money if I had checked there first. Oh well!

If you like reading British mysteries, try Deborah Crombie. She has a real touch with the vernacular and the feeling of the British humor and feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment